Case Study: Lumbar Trauma to an 18 yr old male after a fall from 3 floors
18 yo fell from 3 floors. Near complete loss of all neurological functions below the level of injury with near complete involvement of bowel and bladder
Patient was operated and the spinal canal cleaned up of all bony fragments. The spine was fixed from the side and the back to take care of instability.
Patient was sent to a rehab facility after the surgery and she made a quick and complete recovery in 5-6 months.
Call Us Now!
Dr. Nakul Karkare is awesome! And patriotic! Thank you, Dr. Karkare for displaying the American Flag in your waiting room, honoring and mourning our military personnel, this Memorial Day, who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.
00:52 30 May 23
Excellent and skilled orthopedic practice specializing in joint replacements. Dr Karkare was trained at the Hospital for Special Surgery and has excellent results, as do his associates!! Would gladly refer family members to the practice!!
00:24 30 May 23
I had such a wonderful experience with Complete Orthopedics in Stony Brook. Not only did Dr. Kuo fix my broken wrist with such kindness and care, but the office staff, including Billing, Reception and the X-Ray Technician, was always so helpful, going out of their way to ensure that each patient felt welcome, answering any questions with a smile, and ensuring any issues with insurance/billing were handled with the utmost professionalism. I highly recommend their practice!
19:49 10 May 23
I'm very happy St. Catherine's sent me to this office for treatment after I broke my collar bone! Unfortunately the break was too severe to repair on its own and I had to have it rebuilt a week after the injury. Dr. Vaksha did a great job fixing it. I'm three months out, and I have full use of the arm and shoulder. The whole office staff is very professional, accommodating, and welcoming. I hope to not need orthopedic services again, but Dr. Vaksha will be my number one choice if I or anyone in family suffers such am injury.
20:42 08 May 23
No one likes going to the doctor. But these people make it painless. I go for knees, hips and shoulders. At almost 70 Complete Orthopedics keeps my active life style running smoothly. Whether chasing my Grandson and even surfing again, I highly recommend them!!
15:02 02 Mar 23
Dr. Kuo knowledgeable and competent surgeon- very good experience and more importantly great result.
21:23 25 Feb 23
Dr Vaksha was so kind and helpful. He took extra time with us and explained things so thoroughly. Highly recommend. Office very clean.
20:20 19 Feb 23
Dr Vaksha, is a great doctor very professional knows what he talking about. Treat patient with upmost respect. Thank You
16:46 19 Jan 23
Dr. Karkare is an amazing doctor, very caring and attentive, the girl at the front desk is very kind and helpful. .elizabeth .thank you so much .
21:32 26 Oct 22
Been going to this place before my accident and after I had my knee surgery. So happy how I been treated and how well I am getting. Thank you all and specially Dr. VAKSHA for everything and getting back on track.
19:01 25 Oct 22
Love this place From the minute I called I was treated kindly. When I arrived The Dr saw me right away he was compassionate and ordered the appropriate tests for me. I came back in for my follow up and had the same great experience.
21:28 23 May 22
Dr Vaksha and Dr karkare are 2 of the best orthopedic doctors around my wife Susan had a very serious broken ankle in March of 2019 she didn't think she was going to walk again Dr vaksha did an excellent surgery on her ankle he said it was his toughest he ever did he put a lot of hardware in her ankle and told her she would be alright she made remarkable recovery thanks to his surgery as of now she regained 100 percent use of her ankle she would highly recommend him to anyone. My own experience with Dr karkare has been wonderful he takes his time with you listens to what you have to say and prescribes various treatments and is very caring I would highly recommend him to anyone I would give both doctors a 10 plus rating we are very happy with them the best.
23:31 19 May 22
Complete orthopedics is a wonderful place to go when you hurt or injured a great staff and wonderful doctors very knowledgeable and helpful I would recommend this place to all of my family and friends that is in me of orthopedic care I give them 10 thumbs up
17:39 18 May 22
The staff is very professional and helpful. Dr. Vaksha is excellent. He takes time to listen and offer suggestions to help you get better. I’m very thankful and happy to be a patient here at Complete Orthopedics.
19:54 16 May 22
Dr.Karkare is the best. He listens to everything and explains everything I recommend him to everyone. I am so happy he is my doctor.
00:48 13 May 22
Dr.Kuo is amazing very attentive,caring,and passionate and staff is awsome too.Thank you for everything Dr.kuo.
23:17 12 May 22
I was in a car accident November 1 I was referred to Dr. Vaksha For shoulder surgery . I he was amazing he made me feel very comfortable and explained everything that was going to happen from surgery all the way through my physical therapy highly recommend Dr. Vaksha
19:37 09 May 22
My appointment with Dr. Vaksha was amazing. Dr. Vaksha was very thorough and kind. I would refer this office to anyone who needs a great orthopedic doctor.
19:54 05 May 22
Scheduling my appointment was quick and easy. The staff was super friendly and down to earth. I was seen on time. The appropriate test, “x-rays” were taken before the conversation with doctor, something I really liked, test for analysis and conversation was done upfront. Dr. V had a great personality and was no BS, straight forward diagnosis and a play on next steps. I am happy I found them and would refer them to friends and family.
00:46 03 May 22
I have seen Dr. Kuo two times already and he's awesome along with his staff. Very friendly office and I'm glad to be a patient here.
20:01 28 Apr 22
Amazing team!! Very caring, profesional, and friendly!! Dr. Kevin Kuo, you are the best, very passionate, caring, and helping thank you for getting me better and being so kind to me! Elizabeth you the best thank you for you help always and you big smile and positive actitud❤️🙏🏼
19:01 22 Apr 22
The staff is truly exceptional, they make you feel comfortable and welcomed. The doctors are amazing,always professional, compassionate and great listeners.
03:25 09 Apr 22
What a great place! The place is clean and organized.The staff is wonderful. Setting up physical therapy is right there as well.I'm so glad I found this place.
22:45 05 Apr 22
This was my 1st time breaking something in my 27 years on this planet. I was recommended here by a friend Dr. Vashka helped me from day 1 and still continues to check in on me and my healing ankle. Would highly recommend
16:06 01 Apr 22
Brand new office, same great doctors! Rooms are clean, plenty of parking, physical therapy attached, Dr. Karkare and his staff are awesome. Thank you!
02:49 24 Mar 22
Dr.VAksha is the best, I love the way he treats me as his patient, he is caring,understanding and very attentive to my needs
14:53 03 Mar 22
Great staff. Dr. Vaksha is awesome and takes the time to listen to his patients. He is very compassionate. I would highly recommend this office.
01:24 23 Feb 22
After suffering from a severe ankle injury Dr. V was able to help me heal and return back to work completely to a job where I stand for 12 hours a day. The office is very clean and I appreciated the reminders of my appointments via phone call and through text. The patient portal made it easy for me to access all my documents including work notes. The office staff is wonderful and Rebecca was able to schedule me with a busy schedule and awesome at answering all of my questions including referring me to a great physical therapy office. I highly recommend this office to anyone who’s looking for knowledgeable and kind orthopedic office.
21:31 28 Jan 21
The staff here are great, I was seen at the time of my appointment and was well taken care of!
18:14 07 Jan 21
They are an excellent practice. The front and back office people are amazing and so helpful. Rebecca is such a kind and understanding person. I had an issue with paperwork and she cleared it right up. Dr. Karkare is very knowledgeable, helpful, and caring.
19:31 18 Nov 20
Rebecca K. - What a true burst of sunshine. Very friendly and definitely an asset to the practice!
18:17 17 Nov 20
Great experience, the Doctor is nice but the staff is incredible. I worked with Linda, who was profession and assisted me beyond what any person has done at other practices. Complete Ortho should be complimented for having such a person on their staff.I highly recommend this place!!!
17:26 17 Nov 20
Linda and Becca they are so good ever time I come they are very nice I would tell everyone I no to come to this office..
16:45 17 Nov 20
I was rear ended in an auto accident , Dr Vashka was recommended by a friend of mine .I was experiencing Back , neck , and shoulder pain . After a thorough examination and given exercises to do at home , I am feeling much better , and I ended up avoiding surgery . The staff at Complete Ortho is extremely attentive and show great care when making an appointment and are very friendly and i never waited more than 5 minutes for my appointment . So I would strongly recommend Complete Orthopedics for any aches and pains that one might be experiencing.....
04:44 17 Nov 20
It was the afternoon of Friday Sept. 24. We were in Pt. Jefferson and my wife, Mary Ann, broke her hip. We went to Mather Hospital and it was determined that she would have to have an operation to have it repaired. This would be her third time under the knife in the past year. It just so happened that we were very fortunate enough to have Dr. Karkare, who was on standby, perform the surgery. He put in a rod and two screws in her hip. She spent a few days in the hospital and then went to Gurwin rehabilitee for another few weeks.It has now been almost six weeks and we both worked the election the other day. If it wasn’t for Dr. Karkare’s expertise she never would have been able to work. She is able to walk with a walker and is doing physical therapy three times a week.We can not thank the doctor enough for the compassion and dedication that he puts into his work. It allows Mary Ann do the things that she likes to do, even on a limited basis for a while. I know that with her will, perseverance and the great work that the surgeon performed she will be back on her feet in no time.Sincerely:John V. PlumpEast Northport, NY 11731
14:36 06 Nov 20
In the year of 2018 I was referred to Dr. Karkare because I was experiencing severe knee joint pain. After exhausting physical therapy and trying to labor through the pain, I had to make a quality of life decision. Total knee replacement was the only viable option. Dr. Karkare made my decision easy as he walked me through the whole process from surgery to recovery.On 12/13/19 ( Friday the 13th) I enter Lenox Hill Hospital in great hands. From the time I entered Dr. Karkare’s office for the first time until now, his staff has been amazing. Andrea the medical coordinator walked me through all the paper work and necessary preparations for the surgery. Courtesy and kind would be an understatement. Dr. Karkare went over and beyond from the wellness checks and phone calls all to assure me that I was important to him. This was the right decision no pain and no limp. Complete Orthopedics should be your choice!
22:18 25 Sep 20
Dr. Vadshka has a great bedside manner. He really takes his time and explains treatment options.
12:33 09 Sep 20
I suffered with pain in both knees for years. My orthopedic doctor kept recommending knee replacement . I fought it for years, as I was just afraid. When I had no choice and could barely walk , it was recommended I see Dr. Karkare. We set up a consultation and my wife and I left his office feeling totally confident and comfortable with moving ahead with the surgery. He explained everything to us, and the office staff set everything up for us and made the process easy. So about one month after our initial meeting I had the first knee done. I was up walking mere hours after the surgery, and on the workout machines the next morning. I went home two days after the surgery, and yes walked my daughter down the aisle at her wedding only one week after the surgery without even a cane! Three months later I had the other knee done and went home the very next day. Dr. Karkare put my fears to rest . I would highly recommend him. His expertise gave me my life back. Thank you Dr. Karkare.SincerelyVito Congro
23:58 12 Aug 20
Dr Rhodin really cares for his patients. When I see him he makes sure to review my progress in detail.
15:03 08 Feb 20
My mom had a total hip replacement by dr karkare. He is the BEST orthopedic doctor.Her incision is almost invisable.She is going back for her other hip next week. The office staff is the best, love Andrea.You wont find a better doctor.
21:06 13 Jul 18
There is no better Orthopedic doctor you will find. Broke my ankle three places on a Saturday. Called Dr. Karkare. He had is team ready at the hospital and operated on me within 6 hours after my injury. Now After 3 months of great care by him and his staff, I am walking to normalcy.
04:13 23 Mar 18
- Spine Services
- Back Pain
- Neck Pain
- Cervical Spine Surgery
- Lumbar Spine Surgery
- Minimal Invasive Spine Surgery
- Selective Nerve Root Block
- Osteoporotic Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Prolapsed Intervertebral Disk (PIVD)
- Revision Spine Surgery
- Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction & Fusion Surgery
- Fractures of the Spine
- Total Disc Replacement
- Anatomy of the Spine
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
- Flatback Syndrome
- Back Muscle Spasms
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
- Spine Tumors
- Extreme Lateral Interbody Fusion
- Microscopic / Endoscopic Discectomy
- Sciatica (Lumbar Radiculopathy)
- ACL Reconstruction Surgery
- Cauda Equina Syndrome
- Interspinous Process Spacer
- Laser Spine Surgery
- Ossification of Posterior Longitudinal Ligament
- Synovial Facet Cyst
- Recovery after ACDF Surgery
- Physical Therapy after Microdiscectomy
Spine Case Studies
- Cervical trauma to a 66 yr old male after a 10 foot fall from the roof
- Lumbar Trauma to an 18 yr old male after a fall from 3 floors
- Minimal Invasive TL fixation for a 48 yo Female after a sledding injury
- Degenerative Spondylolisthesis in 70 yr old male back pain and heaviness
- Management Of A 58-Year-Old Male With Acute Monoparesis Of The Dominant Arm
- Transforaminal Epidural Injection in a 60-year-old male with Sciatica
- Management of 50-year-old male with Cauda Equina Syndrome
- Management Of 58-Year-Old Female With Burst Fracture Of T6 Vertebra
- Revision Lumbar Spine Surgery In A Patient With Adjacent Segment Degeneration And Radiculopathy
- Selective Nerve Root Block in a 70-year-old Female with Radiculopathy
- Management of 73-year-old Female with Cervical Spine Stenosis and Myelopathy
- Management Of Cauda Equina Syndrome (CES) in a 60-Year-Old Female With L2-L4 Critical Lumbar Stenosis And Acute Leg Weakness
- Management of L5 Vertebral Pathological Fracture with Collapse and Lumbar Canal Stenosis L3-S1
- Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion (TLIF) of Right L4-S1 in a 55-year-old Female
- Microdiscectomy (Right) L4-L5 in a 58-year-old Female
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion Surgery for Hand and arm weakness in a 80 year old male
- Surgical management of a 78 year old with Odontoid Fracture Myelopathy
- Management of a 57-year-old female with cervical canal stenosis, cervical compressive myelopathy, and brown sequard syndrome
- Cervical disc replacement in a 60-year-old female with cervical spine stenosis at C5-C6 and C6-C7 with radiculopathy and myelopathy
- Management of Lumbar Canal Stenosis in a 63-year-old Female
- Kyphoplasty for Wedge Collapse of L1 Vertebrae in a 62-year-old Female
- Management of Prolapsed Lumbar Intervertebral Disc with Microsdiscectomy and laminotomy
- Selective Nerve Block for Lumbar Radiculopathy in a 67-year-old Female
- Selective Nerve Block in a 32-year-old Female with Lumbar Radiculopathy
- Selective Nerve Block in a 32-year-old Female with Lumbar Radiculopathy
- Posterior Spinal Fusion L4-5 (Instrumented) with L3-5 decompression
- L3-S1 Laminectomy and Fusion
- Exploration of Spinal Fusion, Explanation of Spinal Hardware, Segmental Spinal Instrumentation, Use of Stereotactic Image-guided Neuronavigational, Fluoroscopy with date interpretation and use of morselized allograft
- L1 kyphoplasty with bipedicular access
- Incision and Lumbar of wound lumbar spine
- Anterolateral lumbar discectomy and arthrodesis via left flank retroperitoneal approach
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion C3 TO C6
- C4-5 and C5-6 Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion
- Minimal Invasive (Tubular) Right L5 Laminotomy with L5-S1 Microdiscectomy and S1 Nerve root neurolysis
- L4, L5 and S1 Laminectomy with Neurolysis
- C6, C7, T1 Laminectomy and C6-T1 Posterior Cervical and Thoracic Fusion
- Exploration of Spinal Fusion, Explanation of Spinal hardware placement of new pedicle screws at L4, L5 and bilaterally at the sacrum
- L3-4 Laminectomy
- Revision L4-S1 Transforaminal Interbody Fusion (TLIF)
- L4 and L5 Laminectomy with Neurolysis
- C4 to C6 Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Insertion of Intervertebral body biomechanical devices from C4 to C6
- L5-S1 Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion with Interbody Arthrodesis
- L4 to S1 Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion
- L4-5 Laminectomy and Discectomy
- T6 to T11 Instrumented Fusion
- L4-S1 Posterior Instrumented Fusion with L5-S1 Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody fusion with Osteotomy
- L2-S1 Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion
- Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion L4-S1
- L5-S1 Laminotomy, Right L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
- Laminectomy and decompression of L2-3 Revision decompression of L3-4
- Transforaminal Interbody fusion with Pedicle screw fixation of L5-S1
- Left L4-5 Laminoforaminotomy, Microdiscectomy
- Selective nerve root block transforaminal right S1
- Cervical disc replacement C5-C6 and C6-C7
- Laminoforaminotomy Microdiscectomy right L2-3
- Durotomy Repair
- Minimal Invasive (Tubular) L4-5 Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion
- Bilateral Laminoforaminotomies L2-3, bilateral foraminotomies, L3-4 right sided L5-S1 laminoforaminotomy
- Revision decompression of L4-L5
- Anterior discectomy and fusion C3-4, C4-5 and C5-6 and Insertion of interbody titanium cage globus; C3-4, C4-5 and C5-6
- L4/5 Bilateral Laminectomies, Medical Facetectomies, Foraminotomies and Discectomy with posterolateral pedicle screw and rod instrumentation
- L4-L5 Bilateral Laminotomies
- General Spine
- Cauda Equina
- Cervical Disc Herniation
- Cervical Disc Replacement
- Cervical Fusion
- Lumbar Disc Disease
- Lumbar Discectomy
- Lumbar Fusion
- Minimal Invasive Cervical Spine Surgery
- Minimal Invasive Lumbar Spine Surgery
- Nerve Root Block
- Spinal Stenosis
- Disc Herniation