Smart Total Knee Replacement
After undergoing a total knee replacement, your level of satisfaction can be greatly affected by the size, shape, and how well the implant fits. The reason behind the design of the Smart Total Knee Replacement is to provide your surgeon with more options so that they can achieve a better match with the anatomy of your bone.
Complete Orthopedics is continuously striving to innovate and push the boundaries of what is achievable to provide you with the best possible solutions. Introducing the Smart Total Knee Replacement – the sole knee implant with smart technology.
With the latest implant technology, you can rest assured that you are connected with your healthcare team at all times, throughout your journey. We take great pride in bringing this innovation to you.
How Does It Work?
To begin with, your surgeon will choose the Smart Total Knee Replacement implants that closely align with the anatomy of your knee. After that, a tiny “smart” stem extension is affixed to the lower part of the implant.’
What Data is Collected?
The Smart Total Knee Replacement integrates smoothly into your daily routine. You just need to set it up once by following the guidelines provided in your welcome kit. Post-surgery, it commences collecting data automatically during the night The data is transmitted directly to your surgeon.
Data collected by Smart Total Knee Replacement includes:
- your walking rhythm
- the length of your steps while walking
- the extent of motion or movement possible in your knee
- walking distance
- the number of steps counted
- walking speed
Data collected by Smart Total Knee Replacement DOESN’T include:
- places you have visited or traveled to
Why is Collecting the Data Important?
The data gathered by Smart Total Knee Replacement enables your doctor to remotely track your functional progress during your recovery. You can have faith in being connected with your healthcare team at all times during your journey with the latest implant technology.
What Happens Next?
If you wish to explore the Smart Total Knee Replacement, consult with us. Our doctors at Complete Orthopedics can determine if you are a suitable candidate for Smart Total Knee Replacement.
Remain Connected with mymobility
You and your care team can access the data collected by the Smart Total Knee Replacement Implant through the app. The app gives you constant connection to your care team, so you’ll receive helpful reminders, progress reports, and support that’s unique to you.
The app is a tailored approach to help you stay mobile and linked to your care team during your recovery process, offering assistance in a multitude of ways such as:
- Gaining insight into your condition and enhancing your health before surgery.
- Getting familiar with what to anticipate on the day of the surgery.
- Updates regarding your care plan, such as completion of surveys, educational programs, and exercises, are provided to your surgeon and care team to assist them in assessing whether you require additional guidance or follow-up care.
- Acquiring knowledge about the measures you can take to reduce post-surgery complications.
Indications and Contraindications
The Smart Total Knee Replacement is designed to offer factual kinematic data via the implanted medical device throughout a patient’s post-surgical care for total knee arthroplasty (TKA). The kinematic data serves as a complementary tool to other physiological parameter measuring instruments employed by physicians while monitoring and treating patients after surgery.
The device is designed for patients who undergo a cemented TKA procedure and require a tibial stem extension of at least 58 mm in size. The kinematic data produced by the Smart Total Knee Replacement are not intended for clinical decision-making purposes and have not been demonstrated to provide any clinical advantages.
Patients undergoing procedures or treatments using therapeutic ionizing radiation in the vicinity of the Smart Total Knee Replacement are contraindicated due to the risk of premature failure of electronic components or shortened battery life.
Therapeutic ionizing radiation can cause harm to the Smart Total Knee Replacement, and any resulting damage may not be detectable immediately. Consider the following contraindications before performing TKA on any patient.
The use of the Smart Total Knee Replacement is not recommended for patients who have:
- A history of infection in the affected joint or any other local or systemic infection that can impact the prosthetic joint are not eligible for the use of the Smart Total Knee Replacement.
- Insufficient bone density or quality on the femoral or tibial surfaces.
- Skeletal immaturity
- Arthropathy caused by neuropathy
- Individuals who have osteoporosis or any reduction in muscular or neuromuscular condition that can affect the affected limb
- A successful fusion with no pain and in a functional position.
- Severe instability caused by the lack of integrity in the collateral ligaments.
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) who have an ulcer of the skin or a history of recurrent skin breakdown are at increased risk of postoperative infection and therefore, Total Knee Arthroplasty is contraindicated for such patients.
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) who are taking steroids may be at an elevated risk of infection. Moreover, cases of late postoperative infections in RA patients have been reported more than 24 months after the operation.