Case Study: Simultaneous bilateral Unicondylar Knee replacement in 67 year old male
A 67 year old gentleman who presented to our clinic with a 2-year history of pain in both of his knees. He is a fit & healthy man who maintains an active lifestyle that includes golf, tennis and skiing.
He describes first noticing occasional pain in both of his knees that he did not feel the need to seek medical attention for, however this pain has worsened to the point of being quite bothersome and often preventing him from participating in the sporting activity he enjoys. Although there were occasions when one knee would hurt more than the other, these were temporary and overall he felt that each knee was as problematic as the other.
He had no pertinent medical history, drug allergies or smoking history.
His plain film radiographs revealed arthritic changes in both knees confined to his medial compartment. The extent of his arthritis was roughly equal in both knees and he had no major radiographic deformities.
His physical examination was largely unremarkable, save for some medial joint line tenderness on both sides. Specifically, he had no flexion contracture and his ACL was functionally intact. He had a small, fully correctable varus alignment to both knees.
We counselled the patient on his options, including non-surgical management. He specifically enquired about partial knee replacement surgery. We deemed him to be a candidate, and given that he was otherwise healthy with no major medical comorbidities and his arthritis was symptomatically and radiographically equal in both knees, we decided to plan for simultaneous bilateral Unicondylar Knee Arthroplasty.
We performed the surgery through a mid-vastus medial parapatellar approach in both knees. We replaced his medial compartment with appropriate components, and Mr. JY recovered well, being discharged from hospital the day after his surgery.
He recovered remarkably quickly, being approximately back to his baseline function within 6 weeks, and at 6 months post-surgery he was back playing golf, and slowly getting back to playing tennis again.
Call Us Now!
- Total Knee Replacement
- Custom Knee Replacement
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament
- Cartilage Injury & Management
- KneeCap Maltracking and Management
- High Tibial Osteotomy
- Total Knee Replacement Recovery Guide
- Cemented and Cementless Knee Replacement
- Knee Anatomy
- Achilles Tendon Injuries
- Revision Total Knee Replacement Surgery
- Cortisone Injection
- Knee Arthroplasty Implants
- Bilateral Knee Replacement (Simultaneous)
- Unstable Knee
- Knee Viscosupplementation
- Adjacent Segment Disease after Cervical Fusion
- Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery
- Cauda Equina Syndrome
- Hinged Knee Replacement
- Patient-Specific Knee Replacement – Customized Implants Vs Customized Cutting Blocks
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome
- Gender-Specific Knee Replacement
- Outpatient Knee Replacement
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament Injury
- Knee Pain
- Knee Cartilage Damage
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament
- Post Operative Knee Arthroscopy
- Patellofemoral Pain
- Patellofemoral Instability
- Meniscal Tear of the Knee
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament
- Knee Bursitis
- Medial & Lateral Collateral Ligament of the Knee
- Unicompartmental Knee Replacement
- Meniscus Tear
- 3D Knee Implant
Knee Case Studies
- Simultaneous bilateral knee replacement in a 54 year old female
- Simultaneous bilateral Unicondylar Knee replacement in 67 year old male
- Treatment of infected knee replacement. A staged reconstruction in a 64 year old male
- Computer navigated Primary Knee replacement
- Primary Knee replacement with custom instrumentation in a 63 year old male
- Left Total Knee Arthroplasty – 66 year old male
- Right Total Knee Arthroplasty – 51 year old male
- Customized Right Knee Replacement in a 71-year-old patient
- Custom Unilateral Knee Replacement in a 74-year-old Female
- Custom Left Knee Replacement in a 59-year-old female
- Right Knee Custom Arthroplasty in an 83-year-old male
- Customized Left Knee Replacement in an 81-year-old patient
- Custom Left Knee Replacement in a 40 year male
- Left Custom Knee Replacement in a 67-year-old Female
- Custom Left Knee Replacement for Post-traumatic Arthritis in a 45-year-old Male
- Left Custom Knee Replacement in a 70-year-old female
- Left Custom Total Knee Arthroplasty in a 68-year-old male
- Custom Right Total Knee Arthroplasty – 62-year-old male
- Left Customized Knee Replacement in an 80-year-old male
- Customized Bilateral Knee Replacement in a 78-year-old male
- Right Custom Knee Replacement in a 59-year-old male
- Revision Knee Replacement in a 63-year-old male with a prior Unicompartmental Knee Replacement and ACL repair
- Customized Right Knee Replacement in a 65-year-old female
- Custom Left Knee Replacement in a 71-year-old male
- Customized Left Knee Total Replacement in a 66-year-old female