Dr. Khaled Almansoori, MD
- Orthopedic Surgeon with 11 years of clinical training with a focus on pediatric and adult spinal surgery
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery – BE certified (2015)
- NY Medical License # 292542
- Special interest in medical education and passion for humanitarian and community causes that engage in social responsibility
KEY CONTRIBUTORS TO SUCCESS
- Focused and hard-working
- Solid surgical and academic training
- Excellent team player with a multi-cultural background providing strong communication and interpersonal skills
Cornel University New York, USA
Diploma in Healthcare Leadership Jun 2017 – Ongoing
University of Calgary Calgary, Canada
Combined Spine Fellowship – Foothills Medical Center Aug 2015-Jul 2016
George Washington University Washington DC, USA
Orthopedic Pediatric Fellowship – Children’s National Medical Center Aug 2014-Jul 2015
University of Alberta Edmonton, Canada
Masters in Education (M.Ed) – Health Science Education Sep 2010-May 2015
McMaster University Hamilton, Canada
Orthopedic Trauma Fellowship – Hamilton General Hospital Jan 2014-Aug 2014
University of Alberta – Orthopaedic Residency Edmonton, Canada
Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada, FRCS(C) Jul 2008-Jun 2013
Sheikh Khalifa Medical City Abu Dhabi, U.A.E
Orthopedic Surgery House Officer Jul 2007-Jun 2008
Sheikh Khalifa Medical City Abu Dhabi, U.A.E
Surgical Internship Jul 2006-Jun 2007
Royal College of Surgeons Dublin, Ireland
MBBCh – Second Class, Honours Degree Jan 2014-Aug 2014
Boston University Boston, U.S.A
Bachelor of Arts (B.A) – Biochemistry & Molecular biology Sep 2001-May 2006
Escola Americana de Brasilía Brasilia, Brazil
Secondary Education Diploma May 1996
Northern Lights Regional Health Center
Based in the northern community of Fort McMurray which serves a community catchment area of approximately 120,000. Providing intermittent locum orthopedic trauma services.
General Orthopedic Locum Fort McMurray, Canada (Aug2017 – Jan2018, Jan 2016, Mar & Jul 2014)
Sheikh Khalifa Medical City
Based in the UAE capital of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Khalifa Medical City is the largest public hospital within the country providing trauma and pediatric orthopedic care within the nation and surrounding regions population.
Orthopedic Registrar Abu Dhabi, UAE (Nov 2016 – Jun 2017)
Canadian Orthopedic Association – Basic Science Course
Continued participation and monthly contribution to one of Canada’s largest resident education courses focused on orthopaedic basic science.
Director of Education Technology & Development, Course Instructor Ottawa, Canada (Aug 2013-ongoing)
Frequently providing manuscript reviews for peer-reviewed journals including; Canadian Journal of Surgery, Canadian Medical Education Journal, and Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery (UK).
Peer reviewer (Apr 2016 – ongoing)
ICChange (Innovative Canadians for Change)
Innovative Canadians for Change (ICChange) is a Canadian NGO composed of experts and students from all across Canada, who put their diverse skills and talents together for the common goal of improving the quality of life and medical services available to impoverished populations.
Orthopedic Trauma Lead, Kenya Trauma Injury Program Nairobi, Kenya (Jul 2013-Mar 2016)
ACS – Advanced Trauma Life Support
Provided ATLS instruction at several locations over the last several years including Hamilton city, Calgary, Edmonton, and Abu Dhabi.
Course instructor (Certified in Valhalla) Valhalla, U.S.A (May 2016, Oct 2015, May – Jun 2014, Oct 2013)
Acute Musculoskeletal Trauma and Limb Support
Provided AMTLS instruction and helped contribute to the revised 2014 curriculum
Course Instructor, Executive Board Member Hamilton, Canada (Jan 2014-Aug 2015)
Professional Licenses & Certifications
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- BE certified (July 2015)
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (USMLE)
- Philadelphia, USA (Feb2008)
- USMLE Step3 completion (Feb2016)
- Medical Licenses
- New York, USA (Jun2013-2015, 2018-Ongoing)
- Medical Council of Canada License (MCC)
- Ottawa, Canada (Dec2010)
- Diplôme Superiore Langue Françaises (ALTE-4)
- Alliance Française d’Irelande (Sep2004-May2005)
- OEMS Certification (EMT-I) – Emergency medical technician-Intermediate
- Boston, USA (Sep1999-Aug2003)
Awards & Recognitions
- 2013 Hasting Mewburn Orthopedic Award
- Outstanding performance in orthopedic residency – U.Alberta, Canada. May2013
- 2013 ROTA Award
- Resident-Orthopedic Teaching Award – U. Alberta, Canada. Apr2013
- 38th Annual Alberta Orthopedic Research Day
- 1st prize Clinical Science Award – Edmonton, Canada. Apr2011
- 37th Annual Alberta Orthopedic Research Day
- Townsend Basic science Award – Calgary, Canada. Apr2010
- HRBI Summer Research Prize
- 3rd prize, Health Research Board of Ireland – Dublin, Ireland. May 2005
- Pink Pin Award
- Volunteer work, Massachusetts General Hospital – Boston, USA. Dec1999
- Escola Americana de Brasilía
- Gold prize A.P. Economics, Bronze prize A.P. Mathematics – Brasilía, Brazil. May1996
- Yang M, Almansoori KA, Du Plessis S. Prognostic utility of pain diagrams for predicting surgical intervention among spine referrals. Canadian Journal of Surgery, 2017, 60(3):S72
- Dulai SK, Firth K, Al-Mansoori K, Cave D, Kemp K, et al. Does Topical Anesthetic Reduce Pain During Intraosseous Pin Removal in Children? A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Pediatr Orthop. 2016 Mar;36(2):126-31
- Almansoori KA & Oetgen ME. Fractures of the Thoracolumbar Spine in Pediatric Patients. AAOS – OKO Journal, 2016. Mar;13(8).
- Bednar DA & Almansoori K. Sacral Stress Fracture Mimicking Lumbar Radiculopathy in a Mounted Police Officer: Case Report and Literature Review. Global Spine J. 2015 Oct;5(5):e69-73
- Bednar DA & Almansoori KA. Solitary C1 Posterior Fixation for Unstable Isolated Atlas Fractures: Case Report and Systematic Review of the Literature. Global Spine J. 2015 Sep 29; S01:e1.
- Almansoori KA & Clark M. Increasing trends in orthopedic fellowships are not due to inadequate residency training. Edu Res Int. 12/2014; 2015(2015).
- Fahmy MDS, Almansoori KA, Prasad V, Elliott JAW, McGann LE, Jomha NM. Dose-injury relationships of Cryoprotective Agents on Human Chondrocytes. Cryobiology. 2014 Feb;68(1):50-6
- Almansoori KA, Prasad V, Forbes JF, et al. Cryoprotective agent toxicity interactions in human articular chondrocytes. Cryobiology. 2012; 64(3):185-91
- Almansoori KA, Jomha NM. Knee, Ankle & Foot Scenarios. Edmonton Manual of Common Clinical Scenarios, 2nd Ed. AB, Canada. McCallum Printing Group; 2011.
- Almansoori KA, Hardy-St.Pierre G, & Bouchard JJ. Utility and Reliability of Magnetic-Resonance Imaging Classifications for predicting Lumbar Arthroplasty Outcomes. Canadian Spine Society 2018 Annual Meeting, Banff, Canada.
- Almansoori KA, Sirko Z, & Williams D. Clinical practice trends among Canadian Orthopedic Spine Surgeons.
- Yang M, Almansoori KA, DuPlessis S. Prognostic Utility of Pain Diagrams for Predicting Surgical Intervention among Spine Referrals. 33rd Annual Meeting of the Section on Disorders of Spine & Peripheral Nerves, Las Vegas, USA, 2017
- Almansoori KA, Petruccelli D, De Beer J, and Winemaker M. Do arthroplasty patients perceive changes to their hip morphology with significant offset changes? Results of a clinical survey with radiographic correlation. (Poster Presentation #6 Canadian Orthopaedic Association Annual Scientific Meeting, Jun 2016; Quebec, Canada)
- Almansoori KA, Sirko Z, and Williams D. Long-term practice trends of fellowship-trained Canadian orthopaedic surgeons. (P.presentation #50 Canadian Orthopaedic Association Annual Scientific Meeting, Jun 2016; Quebec, Canada)
- Almansoori KA, Dobbe AM, Beaupre L, and Scharfenberger A. Infra-syndesmotic Fractures of the Fibula: Non-operative Management Outcomes. (Podium presentation #213 Canadian Orthopaedic Association Annual Scientific Meeting, Jun 2015; Vancouver, Canada)
- Almansoori KA, Almansoori DA, Mutiso VM, Saleh A, Hogan K, Hawes H, Kromm J, and Menon M. Development of the Kenya – University of Alberta Orthopedic Trauma Assessment Tool – Phase I results. (Paper presentation #162. Trauma Association of Canada Annual Scientific Meeting, Apr 10-11, 2015; Calgary, AB, Canada)
- Almansoori KA & Clark M. Orthopedic Fellowship Trends in Canada: Results of a National Survey. (Poster CORD#13, COA – American Orthopedic Association Annual Meeting. Jun 2014; Montreal, Canada)
- Almansoori KA, Mutiso VM, Saleh A, Hogan J, Hawes H, Kromm J, and Menon M. Development of the Kenyatta National Hospital – University of Alberta Orthopedic Trauma Assessment (KUOTA) Tool. (Poster: 122 Trauma Association of Canada Annual Scientific Meeting. Apr 2014)
- Almansoori KA, Firth K, Cave D, et al. Randomized Controlled Trial of Topical Lidocaine Analgesic Use for Percutaneous Wire Removal in the Pediatric Outpatient Population. (Podium: 78323, Women & Children’s Health Research Meeting, Dec2011)
- Fahmy MDS, Almansoori KA, Prasad V, Elliott JAW, McGann LE, Jomha NM. Dose-Toxicity Relationships of Cryoprotective Agents on Human Chondrocytes. (Podium: 1443, Canadian Orthopedic Association Annual Meeting, Jun2013)
- Almansoori KA, Law GK, McGann LE, Elliott JAW, Forbes JF, Jomha NM. Effective cryoprotectant agent combinations for vitrification of articular cartilage. (Poster: 681, Canadian Orthopedic Association Annual Meeting, Jul2011)
- Almansoori KA, Forbes JF, Law GK, McGann LE, Elliott JAW, Jomha NM. Evaluation of the toxicity of individual and combination cryoprotectant agents on human chondrocytes. (Poster: 228, Canadian Orthopedic Association Annual Meeting, Jun2010)
- Almansoori KA & O’Brien FJ. Comparison of static & dynamic MC3T3 cell-seeding methods on collagen-GAG scaffolds. (Poster Presentation, Royal College of Surgeons Research Day , Ireland, Apr 2006)
- Almansoori KA, Kiernan KA, O’Brien FJ. Ascorbate, β-glycerophosphate, and dexamethasone effects on MC3T3 cell alkaline phosphatase activity. (Podium presentation, Royal College of Surgeons Research Day , Ireland, May 2005)
VOLUNTEER & COMMUNITY SERVICE
- Canadian Association Medical Teams Abroad (CAMTA)
- Orthopedic Surgery Mission. Quito, Ecuador. Feb2013, Mar2017, & Feb2018.
- I.C.Change / Red Cross of Kenya
- Ortho trauma lead. Kenya Trauma Injury Project. Nairobi & Eldoret, Kenya. Jul2013 – Mar2016
- United Nations Refugee Works Agency (UNRWA)
- Medical Intern, Burj-ElBarajneh Refugee Camp, Lebanon. Jun-Aug2005
- SPSR: Society of Physicians for Social Responsibilities
- Asia & Africa team leader (One World Project ), Homework club, various community activities. Sep-Dec2005
Interests: Philanthropy, meditation, martial arts, music, scuba diving, and backpacking the globe
Languages Spoken: English, Arabic, French, and Portuguese (Conversational).